Pages, Cornish Pastie, Tripe and Onions,Meat Loaf, Christmas Pudding, Steak and Kidney Pie and Pudd

Thursday 31 October 2013

Pickled Beetroot Like Mother Used to Make



This is an old, pickled beetroot recipe, my mother inherited from her mother and I didn't like or appreciate them much when I was a kid, as  I got older I started to realize how good they were for me and how versatile to use in many recipes. This is the recipe as I remember it.


Ingredients - Makes about 1 kg./2 lb. pickle

.10 fl. oz. malt vinegar
.5 fl. oz. water
.4 oz. sugar
.1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
.1 bay leaf
.2 cloves
,4 peppercorns
.4 medium cooked beetroots, sliced

Method

.Put all the ingredients, except the beetroots, into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
,Simmer for 5 minutes.
.Set aside to cool.
Pack the beetroots into hot, sterilised jars, then strain over the vinegar mixture to within 1/2 inch of the tops.
. Seal.
.Because of the high sugar contents of the beetroots, this pickle should be used as soon as possible.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment